Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Satis

I'm trying to write a legal memo for my research and writing class and I'm getting more angst-ridden all the time about the fact that a memo is supposed to be concise and free of unnecessary details but my instructor wants it to be around 20 pages long and to cite multiple authorities even though I could write it in 12 pages with reference to one case from the Supreme Court of Canada that covers everything. I'm beginning to suspect that law school is one long, drawn-out exercise in futility.

Enough complaining. I'm going to write something happy and quite possibly sappy. If you're feeling scornful or critical today, I recommend that you not read the following. It'll take me down a notch in your esteem and I certainly don't want that. If you're going to read any further, I ask you to suspend your disbelief, have faith for a moment in romance and idealism, and simply enjoy the dream.


You may have noticed that the blog title refers to two entities. This is the story of Phoenix and Nance, not of Nance all by her lonesome. She's caught glimpses of him from time to time: seen his eyes in another's face, heard his heart speak in another's voice. It is, for the moment, enough. Satis. "And now these three remain..." Faith she has, hope she has, and the third she knows will come. The smile that caught her eye and the song that caught her heart speak to a hope that a star will fall for her. And there will be a brilliant moment when the drink is suddenly stronger and life is unfathomably sweeter, a moment when the morning sun comes through the window and her heart opens to find itself full.

2 comments:

Kjersti said...

I'm basically a pool of melted butter right now. Thanks for the narrative...I deal quite well with sappiness.

*WinterOne said...

That's beautiful. You definitely should write.