In order to counteract the generally angry tone of the last few posts, I thought I'd make a list of my favourite things. As I'm spending the weekend largely on my own, there will be a lot of reading materials on this list. Not that I'm annoyed or anything.
My Favourite Things
1. The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery. The best book ever. Not so much for the writing - she's definitely written more polished stories and there are many more accomplished writers out there - but for the dream it embodies. I want to be Valancy.
2. Far From the Madding Crown by Thomas Hardy. At heart I am Bathsheba Everdene.
3. T.S. Eliot. That Nobel Prize was no accident. Same to J. M. Coetzee.
4. Pablo Neruda. I was reminded of him when I saw one of his poems on another blogpage recently. I remember reading the "I do not love you as..." sonnet when I was about 15 and being completely absorbed in it.
5. Challis, for staying in the city and hanging out with me this weekend. You rock.
6. Sailing. I went for the first time a few weeks ago and I loved it. Now all I've got to do is get over that fear of water...
7. Kandahar. The word, not the place. It sounds like a name for heaven. Every time I read about the desperate things that happen there it makes me feel like paradise has been lost again.
8. My bike. I'm in better shape this summer than I've ever been in my life.
9. Apple pie. Specifically, making apple pie and doing a good job. I made it on my own for the first time this last week and it was fantastic, if I do say so myself.
10. Prairie nights, out of the city, away from the yard, just looking up and glorying in the gorgeousness. I've never had a reason to be afraid of the dark.
C'est tout for now.
Sunday, August 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment