Wednesday, August 09, 2006
My very own infomercial
I spent some time today at the bike shop waiting for a new wheel. A little part of me died when the repair guy asked me whether I'd been curb stomping or something and I had to tell him that I actually tripped over the bike coming out of the shed. Oh well; humility is good for the soul. I was griping to myself about the money - the whole point of the bike is that it's cheap and low-maintenance (kind of like me) - when I came to a sudden realization: it cost less to replace the wheel on my bike than it would to fill the tank of a small car. And the bike shop guys are way more informative (and more attractive) than your average Honda dealer. The conclusion is clear: everyone should ride a bike. Bicyclists save their own resources (think cash) and are way easier on the earth (think fuel consumption and exhaust production). It's slimming. It's fun. People honk at you all friendly-like (or not). Granted, it's not practical or even possible in a place like Saskatchewan for the better part of the year. But for all you sun-starved Canadians out there, it's a great way to increase your vitamin D intake in those all-too-short months of summer. No more SAD for you! (And if you don't know about Seasonal Affectation Disorder, you're obviously from Arizona or California.) So go get a bike. It does a body good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I've been thinking about getting a bike. You can even take them on the trains if need be. I think I would only use it to work and back, which is not actually that far-- just quicker! Well, winter is coming soon, so perhaps it would not be such a good idea...
Post a Comment