Wednesday, June 14, 2006

My life, sans subtitles

QUEBEC
I had a great time and learned a lot. I even had a few stellar moments in stores in Quebec and Montreal where the clerks spoke French to me after they'd heard me say salut. I liked it. Good things about Quebec: Quebec City, poutine at the Cantine D'Amour in Trois-Pistoles, jazz at the Clarindon, Simon's, French, and the Fleuve.

EN ROUTE
I got to the train station at 1:50 AM Quebec time on Saturday and finally arrived here at 10:30 PM Saskatchewan time. In the meantime, I missed a train, thought I missed a flight (the worst feeling ever is thinking you've missed the last flight home), got to visit my dad for a couple of hours, read En Route magazine cover to cover, pondered E.E.Cummings and slept for about 3 hours in total. Sleep deprivation and near-hysteria made for a hilarious evening with Emily and Megan when I finally arrived in...

SASKATCHEWAN
I love Saskatchewan. I love the sun. I love that the rain is welcome. I love that I'm going home this weekend. I love the wind and the space and the pickup trucks. I love listening to the Dixie Chicks and Ron Sexsmith. I love getting letters from my boys out in the bush and having internet access again. I love my house and my girls and... wait on it... I love my job.

THE JOB
That's right, I love my job. I, the reluctant law student, am working in a law office and loving it. Granted, I've only been here for three days, but so far it's totally great. Everyone's nice and I'm working on real issues and they don't make things too hard for me and I'm just generally thrilled with it all. Maybe I won't have to join the circus after all.

AND NOW...
I'm actually kind of looking forward to getting back to Halifax in the fall. I don't want to be there right now, but I think I'll be ready for it when it comes and even a little happy to return to school. Who would've thought? I guess time really does work miracles - or blots out the memory. Either way, I'm glad that I'm happy about it. And I'm glad I don't have to go back quite yet.

So that's my life. This weekend, I'll be having a rockin' good time at the Frenchman River Valley Gospel Music Jamboree (yep, you heard right) working in the kitchen and catching up with everyone from home. I'm so thankful for all the sugary goodness in my life right now and I wish you all the same.

1 comment:

*WinterOne said...

Hey Amy! I just spent the last few minutes catching up avec tu. My friend Katie was also immersed in Quebec this year, for her second year in a row. She makes the place sound fantastic. You didn't say too much about it, but I hope you enjoyed it just as much!